The lower Kanektok River flows by
the village Quinhagak - just before it reaches the sea. Quinhagak
is on the east shore of Kuskokwim Bay, less than a mile from the
Bering Sea coast and 70 miles southwest of Bethel.
According to Bearingsea.com
"The Yup'ik name is Kuinerraq, meaning "new river channel."
Quinhagak is a long-established village whose origin has been
dated to 1,000 A.D. It was the first village on the lower Kuskokwim
to have sustained contact with whites. Gavril Sarichev reported
the village on a map in 1826.
Most of the employment is with the
school, government services or commercial fishing. Trapping, basket
weaving, skin sewing and ivory carving also provide income. Subsistence
remains an important part of the livelihood; seal and salmon are
staples of the diet. 100 residents hold commercial fishing permits
for salmon net and herring roe fisheries. The Incorporated Fishermen
of Quinhagak has been organized to improve market conditions and
stabilize prices. A fish processing facility was recently completed,
owned by the village IRA council. "